Bleach can be harmful to the environment and to your body. With that being said, it’s an extremely effective cleaning solution when handled properly. It is important to know how to be safe around bleach and how to safely use it. Here are some tips!
- Bleach is a skin irritant. Avoid direct skin contact with bleach (use gloves when working with chemical solutions).
- Wear eye PPE when working with bleach if splashing is possible.
- Avoid inhaling fumes. It is recommended to use in a well ventilated area.
- If ingested please call 911.
- It is best to dilute bleach concentrates. Only mix with water! Bleach becomes a poisonous gas when mixed with certain household cleaning products like ammonia. It is best to avoid mixing chemicals altogether.
- Proper dilution solution is 2 tablespoons (standard clorox is 6% sodium hypochlorite) per 8 ounces of water.
- More is not better – bleach is a powerful chemical and should be used sparingly.
Bleach is a fantastic disinfectant for large surfaces. The most common areas cleaned with a bleach dilute is the kitchen and bathroom!
To disinfect and brighten your fridge with bleach, follow these simple steps:
- Combine 2 tablespoons of bleach with 8 ounces of water in a spray bottle.
- Empty out the fridge completely.
- Spray that fridge down!
- Let it sit for 1-2 minutes so the bleach sets in.
- Wipe the fridge down with your preference of towel.
- Make sure there is no bleach residue left on the surfaces.
- Fill fridge back up with food!
Bleach is very good at brightening white in the bathroom! Follow the same instructions as above for your bathtub. Your bathtub will look like it was just refurbished!
If you’re looking to whiten up or general disinfectant. Don’t rule out bleach as a cleaning solution!
As long as you’re careful (bleach stains almost everything if left on too long), bleach can be an excellent last-resort tool in your cleaning arsenal.